6 min learn
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their very own.
The next excerpt is from Robert W. Bly’s The Content material Advertising and marketing Handbook. Purchase it now from Amazon | Barnes & Noble or click on right here to purchase it straight from us and SAVE 60% on this e-book once you use code MARKET2021 by 4/24/21.
Lots of B2B advertising and marketing both promotes technical merchandise, sells to a technical viewers, or each. The character of those advertising and marketing campaigns poses a problem to those that should create them as a result of the entrepreneurs tasked with executing these campaigns typically lack a technical background. Due to this fact, they could have a steep studying curve and issue understanding what they’re promoting and to whom they’re promoting it.
I’ve been writing copy to promote technical merchandise to engineers, scientists, programmers and different techies for greater than 4 many years. Listed here are seven methods of the commerce that give me an edge in creating copy that pleases the consumer and persuades the prospect:
1. Construct an correct “reality financial institution.” A reality financial institution is a sequence of statements describing the product and its options which have been vetted by a technical knowledgeable. Earlier than I begin writing my copy, I’m going by the supply materials for the mission and write down 5 to 10 sentences that exactly describe the product, the way it works, its main options and the way these options translate into vital advantages. I e mail these sentences to my purchasers with the request that they overview them and make any vital corrections, additions, or deletions. After they try this, I incorporate their edits. Now I’ve a set of preapproved sentences I can use to assemble my copy, and I do know what I’m writing is technically correct. The purchasers then get a primary draft of copy on a extremely technical topic that’s right and on the mark.
2. Purchase a kids’s e-book on the subject. If you must write copy a few technical topic, purchase both a kids’s e-book on the topic or an grownup nonfiction e-book geared toward a lay viewers. For instance, after I needed to write copy for an aerospace contractor, I used to be aided by an Isaac Asimov e-book for younger readers about satellites. The youngsters’s books particularly will present clear, easy-to-understand explanations of key phrases and ideas. The grownup books will seemingly have descriptions of options and performance you may paraphrase in your personal copy. (If I “borrow” from books, I alert the consumer by including a footnote and ensure I’m not plagiarizing by rephrasing in my very own phrases.) One other good buy for the high-tech copywriter is a dictionary of trade phrases. At numerous instances, I’ve owned dictionaries for computer systems, telecom, banking, finance and aerospace.
3. Ask the consumer for copies of PowerPoints. Engineers in particular are usually visually oriented, so you must have visuals to accompany your textual content. Somewhat than draw quite a lot of charts and graphs, I ask the consumer for copies of PowerPoints utilized in shows by their technical and gross sales employees. I then paste into my copy no matter visuals I feel will work greatest, rigorously noting the title of the PowerPoint and the web page quantity from the supply. Typically I discover a super diagram for illustrating my level on an internet site that’s not the consumer’s. If I take advantage of it, I add a notice explaining that it’s for reference solely and should be redrawn to keep away from copyright infringement.
4. Perceive that graphics have that means. Until you belowstand what a chart or graph means, don’t use it. It’s excessively embarrassing to chop and paste a diagram from a consumer’s PowerPoint into your copy, solely to be unable to clarify to the consumer why you used it. You need to perceive every visible so properly you can write a transparent, descriptive caption for it — after which accomplish that.
5. Use e mail for interviews. I typically interview subject material specialists (SMEs) over the cellphone when writing copy. However occasionally I get SMEs who can’t categorical themselves properly verbally. In these instances, I supply to e mail them questions to allow them to e mail me their replies. Usually technical individuals who can’t converse English properly can write properly — maybe a results of the rise of e mail, which forces individuals to put in writing typically. At instances, the e-mail replies are so clear I can virtually paste them proper into my copy. If the solutions are nonetheless unclear, I rewrite them in plain English after which e mail my rewrite again to the SME for overview. Normally the SME makes a number of minor edits, and after that, it’s prepared to make use of.
6. Use Wikipedia — with warning. You possibly can’t wholly depend on information in Wikipedia to be correct as a result of it’s compiled by volunteers. Nonetheless, I’ve discovered that entries on technical phrases often begin off with a plain English definition of the time period, which might be invaluable. However once you’re researching statistics to reinforce your copy — for instance, the date the laser was invented or the pace of sound in a vacuum — most purchasers need a greater supply than Wikipedia. Web sites are additionally iffy once you don’t know who’s working them, as are blogs. I favor to quote an article from a revered trade or scientific journal.
7. Get sensible. When you’re going to be repeatedly writing a few product or know-how, it is sensible to get some additional schooling on the subject. One advert company president advised me he assigned an account govt to deal with an industrial welding account. On his personal, the account govt took night time college programs in welding, finally turning into a certified welder. Good transfer!
Did you get pleasure from your e-book preview? Click on right here to seize a replica at this time—now 60% off once you use code MARKET2021 by 4/24/21.